Saturday, September 26, 2020

Week 39 Review: Kingdom of Souls

From Goodreads:
Explosive fantasy set in a world of magic and legend, where one girl must sacrifice her life, year by year, to gain the power necessary to fight the mother she has never been good enough for.

Perfect for fans of Sarah J Maas, Tomi Adeyemi and Black Panther

THERE'S MAGIC IN HER BLOOD.

Arrah is a young woman from a long line of the most powerful witch doctors in the land. But she fails at magic, fails to call upon the ancestors and can't even cast the simplest curse.

Shame and disappointment dog her.

When strange premonitions befall her family and children in the kingdom begin to disappear, Arrah undergoes the dangerous and scorned process of selling years of her life for magic. This borrowed power reveals a nightmarish betrayal and a danger beyond what she could have imagined. Now Arrah must find a way to master magic, or at least buy it, in order to save herself and everything she holds dear.

An explosive fantasy set in a world of magic and legend with a twist you will never see coming.

My Review:
I enjoyed reading this book. I did hear some negative things about it going in, so I was a bit apprehensive, but I did enjoy it, I enjoyed reading about Arrah and her journey! I enjoyed this world of magic-when Arrah doesn't have the magic that she should, so she goes where she shouldn't to get some!

I totally get why Arrah did what she did. Between the pressures of not having her expected magic, and all the bad things happening, she has a good reason for getting that magic. It's just not very good for her, and I'm worried for her!

We did get a few chapters interspersed, narrated by the various Orisha, of stories and legends about them. And that was pretty interesting, and added to the world. And then there was that epilogue, and things started to make more sense!

I'm really excited to see where this series goes from here, that ending, wow! I mean, it was a pretty dark story, and it kept descending into the darkness, but I just wasn't expecting that! I just need to know what's going to happen next!

This was a great book, I really enjoyed it, and I can't wait for the sequel!

Author: Rena Barron
Series: Kingdom of Souls #1
Read: September 19th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really good and it's a DAC Book, and Prequel & Sequel 2020 Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: September 3rd 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!