Saturday, September 26, 2020

Week 39 Review: Good Girls Lie

From Goodreads:
Goode girls don't lie…

Perched atop a hill in the tiny town of Marchburg, Virginia, The Goode School is a prestigious prep school known as a Silent Ivy. The boarding school of choice for daughters of the rich and influential, it accepts only the best and the brightest. Its elite status, long-held traditions and honor code are ideal for preparing exceptional young women for brilliant futures at Ivy League universities and beyond. But a stranger has come to Goode, and this ivy has turned poisonous.

In a world where appearances are everything, as long as students pretend to follow the rules, no one questions the cruelties of the secret societies or the dubious behavior of the privileged young women who expect to get away with murder. But when a popular student is found dead, the truth cannot be ignored. Rumors suggest she was struggling with a secret that drove her to suicide.

But look closely…because there are truths and there are lies, and then there is everything that really happened.

J.T. Ellison's pulse-pounding new novel examines the tenuous bonds of friendship, the power of lies and the desperate lengths people will go to to protect their secrets. 

My Review:
I had a really great time reading this book! I love J.T. Ellison's books, but I think subconsciously I haven't made time to read her stand alone's because I want that sequel to the Taylor Jackson/Sam Owens book, after the way that What Lies Behind ended, and we haven't gotten that. But I read this book and I enjoyed it so much!  It was just so dark and atmospheric!

It seems to be a theme, because this is yet another book that I was a bit confused with. I mean, I had suspicions, because it is a mystery book. But we kept going back and forth between the present at the school, and the past in England. So I thought that there was something wonky there. And there was, and it was a major plot point in the book, and I just really enjoyed it!

We do jump around the timeline a fair bit. The beginning is almost near the end of the timeline, and then it jumps back to when Ash first arrived at the school, and the present continued chronologically, though with brief jumps back in time to before she'd left England.

There was a lot going on, from the life of being a Goode girl, and we got to see mainly from Ash's perspective, but also from the Headmistress and a cop investigating the case. It was all just a twisted web, and I really enjoyed how it all came together. That epilogue was truly creepy and I loved it!

This book was a really fantastic read, and I really need to read more of J.T. Ellison's books!

Author: J.T. Ellison
Read: September 23rd, 2020
Source: Bought/NetGalley
Reason Why: Love her writing, and it's a SAC 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: MIRA
Published: December 30th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!