Saturday, December 5, 2020

Week 49 Review: City of Ashes

From Goodreads:
Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

My first review of City of Ashes
My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book again. This book has so much emotional conflict, from Clary and Jace dealing with the fact that they're supposedly siblings, to Simon becoming a vampire. It's such a great read, and I loved continuing the series! 

I read an article that said that there were 4 ways to read the Shadowhunter Chronicles series. I'm kinda making a 5th, which is a combination of the 1st, Cassandra Clare approved order, and the 3rd, which is by publication date. For all books besides the Infernal Devices, and the 2nd Mortal Instruments trilogy, I'm going to read by publication date. All the others, I'll read by the list in the first way. Because that epilogue of Clockwork Princess is affected by the events in City of Heavenly Fire. Though CP3 was published before CoHF. Oh, well! 

Reading about Clary, Jace and the gang is just so great to read. And there's some iconic moments in this book, like when the Queen has Clary and Jace kiss. Or when Alec gets the fearless rune and almost tells the group that he's dating Magnus. When the Inquisitor discovers the truth about Jace's identity, but dies before she can tell him, dies to save his life. Yeah. 

I remembered the fight on the boat. I kinda remembered Simon becoming immune to the sun. But I had forgotten that final scene, with the reveal that Jocelyn had put herself into the sleep, and that they couldn't just wait around for her to wake up. So I can't wait to reread City of Glass, and finish this first trilogy! 

This series is just so great to read, and I can't wait to continue (though I know there's much heartbreak in the next book!)

Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #2, Shadowhunter Chronicles
First Read: 2008
Second Read: September 12th, 2013
Read: December 3rd, 2020
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading! And it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Published: March 25th 2008
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!