Saturday, December 12, 2020

Week 50 Review: All Out

From Goodreads:
Take a journey through time and genres and discover a past where queer figures live, love and shape the world around them. Seventeen of the best young adult authors across the queer spectrum have come together to create a collection of beautifully written diverse historical fiction for teens.

From a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood set in war-torn 1870s Mexico featuring a transgender soldier, to two girls falling in love while mourning the death of Kurt Cobain, forbidden love in a sixteenth-century Spanish convent or an asexual girl discovering her identity amid the 1970s roller-disco scene, All Out tells a diverse range of stories across cultures, time periods and identities, shedding light on an area of history often ignored or forgotten. 

My Review:
Yes, this was an awesome anthology! I just love the concept, of a bunch of LGBTIAQ+ characters falling in love, having romantic adventures. There were one or two where the romance was either already established or that they didn't need to really talk about it, they just fell into it.

The Scott Tracey one, I was just confused as to what was going on. It was really just that ending, but I didn't quite get what was going on, I would've liked a few more details. So that one, and the ones that didn't really have a happy ending were my least favourite. 

But it's hard to pick a favourite out of the rest of them. like the Malinda Lo story, it's now been turned into a full length novel, Last Night at the Telegraph Club, which I previously read and really enjoyed. So I enjoyed that one. And there's the one with the no kissing one with the ace rep in the 80's with the rollerblading. Oh, and the higher up maid and the lower maid, that was funny, espcailly the ending with the King! 

One thing is, that I think I'll enjoy Out Now just a tad more. One thing that I didn't realize about this anthology, but is right there in the synopsis, is that this is historical fiction collection of stories, the closest to the present time is the 80's story if I'm remembering correctly. And most of the time, that was fine. But I did have a moment or two when I wanted a more modern story. And that's on me, if you like historical stories and are interested in the concept of this anthology, you'll enjoy it! 

This was such great read, I enjoyed reading it, and I need to read Out Now! 

Authors: Saundra Mitchell, Kody Keplinger, Kate Scelsa, Robin Talley, Shaun David Hutchinson, Tess Sharpe, Alex Sanchez, Nilah Magruder, Sara Farizan, Mackenzi Lee, Anna-Marie McLemore, Malinda Lo, Dahlia Adler, Tehlor Kay Mejia, Scott Tracey, Tessa Gratton, Natalie C. Parker, Elliot Wake
Read: December 6th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really good! And it's a Historical Fiction 2020 Book and a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: February 27th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. One of my goals for next year is to read more short stories. This book is high on my list. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this anthology was really great, I enjoyed most of the stories! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

      Delete

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!