Saturday, December 19, 2020

Week 51 Reviews: The Dogs of Athens, When Gods and Vampires Roamed Miami, Antigoddess



"The Dogs of Athens" by Kendare Blake is a dark story set before the events of the Goddess Wars series for young adults during the twilight of the gods. Greek goddess Artemis and her immortal companions have returned to modern-day Athens where a chance reunion with Actaeon, the mortal hero who fell prey to Artemis' fatal wrath thousands of years ago, turns violent once again.

From Goodreads:
"When Gods and Vampires Roamed Miami" is the story of when immortal teen goddess Athena is mistaken for a vampire by a desperate youth who refuses to leave her side until she turns him. This tale takes place in the world of the Goddess Wars series for young adults by award-winning author Kendare Blake.

From Goodreads:
Old Gods never die…

Or so Athena thought. But then the feathers started sprouting beneath her skin, invading her lungs like a strange cancer, and Hermes showed up with a fever eating away his flesh. So much for living a quiet eternity in perpetual health.

Desperately seeking the cause of their slow, miserable deaths, Athena and Hermes travel the world, gathering allies and discovering enemies both new and old. Their search leads them to Cassandra—an ordinary girl who was once an extraordinary prophetess, protected and loved by a god. 

These days, Cassandra doesn't involve herself in the business of gods—in fact, she doesn't even know they exist. But she could be the key in a war that is only just beginning. 

Because Hera, the queen of the gods, has aligned herself with other of the ancient Olympians, who are killing off rivals in an attempt to prolong their own lives. But these anti-gods have become corrupted in their desperation to survive, horrific caricatures of their former glory. Athena will need every advantage she can get, because immortals don't just flicker out. 

Every one of them dies in their own way. Some choke on feathers. Others become monsters. All of them rage against their last breath.

The Goddess War is about to begin.

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading these stories. The first two gave us a glimpse of this world and these characters, and then we got the full thing with Antigoddess, and it was just so wonderful! I just wanted to know more about everything! 

So I did try to read these, maybe back in 2017, which was the time this post was dated to before I updated it. But I got through the two short stories, and I think I read a chapter or two of Antigoddess. I don't know why I put it down (why?) but I was so glad to get back and read the stories and the whole book now, they were just such great stories! 

These were the first stories in the series, and I loved learning all the various quirks of this world, and of these characters. I mean, Greek mythology is a pretty common well of stories to pull from, especially in YA. I wanted to see how it played out in this series. 

And that ending, whoa! I'm so excited to see where this series goes from here. This is only the start of the series, we have 2 more full length books, and there's so much potential there, and I just want to see where it's going to go from here! 

Loved reading these, and I can't wait to continue the series! 

Author: Kendare Blake
Series: Goddess War #0.1, 0.5, 1
Read: December 17th, 17th, 17th, 2020
Source: Online, Bought
Reason Why: Really enjoyed her other series, and they're 2020 Retelling Reading Challenge Books and Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Books, and Antigoddess is a RR Book!
Publisher: Tor Teen
Published: September 9th 2015, September 30th 2014, September 10th 2013

The Dogs of Athens:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








When Gods and Vampire Roamed Miami:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars








Antigoddess:
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!