Saturday, December 12, 2020

Week 50 Review: The Scapegracers

From Goodreads:
An outcast teenage lesbian witch finds her coven hidden amongst the popular girls in her school, and performs some seriously badass magic in the process.

Skulking near the bottom of West High's social pyramid, Sideways Pike lurks under the bleachers doing magic tricks for Coke bottles. As a witch, lesbian, and lifelong outsider, she's had a hard time making friends. But when the three most popular girls pay her $40 to cast a spell at their Halloween party, Sideways gets swept into a new clique. The unholy trinity are dangerous angels, sugar-coated rattlesnakes, and now–unbelievably–Sideways' best friends.

Together, the four bond to form a ferocious and powerful coven. They plan parties, cast curses on dudebros, try to find Sideways a girlfriend, and elude the fundamentalist witch hunters hellbent stealing their magic. But for Sideways, the hardest part is the whole 'having friends' thing. Who knew that balancing human interaction with supernatural peril could be so complicated?

Rich with the urgency of feral youth, The Scapegracers explores growing up and complex female friendship with all the rage of a teenage girl. It subverts the trope of competitive mean girls and instead portrays a mercilessly supportive clique of diverse and vivid characters. It is an atmospheric, voice-driven novel of the occult, and the first of a three-book series. 

My Review:
I enjoyed this book. It was strange and creepy, and the way that Sideways reacted was visceral, and pretty constant, and that was a tad annoying, but I enjoyed these characters and this world with magic, and I can't wait to see where this series goes from here!

I was a little confused. After all, what the guy did, leaving her in the pool with the dead deer, that's not the sexual violence that a girl could expect from a boy. It's more horror. But they responded as if it was a sexual violence crime. Sure, that's what they should do for basically any other case, but this one was different. So yeah, I was confused.

I really enjoyed the bond that these girls had. Sideways was an outcast, but she's welcomed into the gang of the most popular girls in the school. And the magic bonded them, and I loved the friendships that they developed! 

Oh, man, that ending! I wasn't expecting that to happen! But I'm really glad that the girls stuck together. And I'm interested to see how it's going to play out in the sequel, because it is mentioned in the synopsis of book 2. So I'm excited for that! 

This was a really great read, and I had a good time reading it! 

Author: Hannah Abigail Clarke
Series: Scapegracers #1
Read: December 5th, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Erewhon
Published: September 15th 2020
5/5 Hearts
3/5 Books
3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!