Saturday, December 19, 2020

Week 51 Review: Day One

From Goodreads:
In the sequel to Day Zero, stepsisters Jinx and MacKenna must put aside their enmity and work together to rescue their little brother…and possibly save the world. A nonstop whirlwind of a read for fans of Marie Lu, Rick Yancey and Alexandra Bracken.

RULE ONE: THOSE WHO PANIC DON'T SURVIVE

IT'S AS TRUE NOW AS IT WAS THE DAY OUR WORLD EXPLODED INTO CHAOS

Jinx

Three months ago, all I wanted was to stay up late playing video games and pretending things were fine. But with my parents' role in a massive political conspiracy exposed, I ended up on the run, desperate to rescue my little brother, Charles, from the clutches of The Opposition.

I used to hate my father's obsession with disaster prepping. But as I fight my way across a war-torn country and into a secret military research facility with only my stepsister to count on, I realize that following Dr. Doomsday's Guide for Ultimate Survival might be our only hope of surviving to see Charles again.

MacKenna

Once, I had it all. The right backstory. The right qualifications. But my life as a student journalist was destroyed forever in the explosions that triggered the country's meltdown. Now I’m determined to help Jinx get our little brother back. But we also have to find our own reasons to survive. Somehow, I've become the first reporter of the new civil war. In a world where your story is your ultimate weapon, I have to become the toughest freedom fighter of all. 

My Review:
This was a really great read. I loved the first book, and I was really interested to see where this one would go. And this one really tackled bigger political questions that the first one just raised. About who is doing the wrong thing in war, and how to help people when you can't agree on how.

One thing that I loved about this book was that we also got MacKenna's perspective. And shew as thoroughly for the Sparks in the first book, but seeing her hero up close and personal raised some doubts about him. 

Some of the characters really annoyed me. Like MacKenna's brother, Toby. His actions in this book were questionable, and I just really didn't like him in this book. But there were characters who seemed like there were few choices, like Navarro and Terminus. Really enjoyed learning more about those two! 

Really enjoyed that ending. Things are fairly tide, for a world that started the second civil war. There's a bunch of clean up that they're going to have to do, and a lot of rebuilding the sense of country. But I enjoyed it thoroughly, really enjoyed where the characters were! 

This was such a fantastic read, and I can't wait to read more by Kelly deVos! 

Author: Kelly deVos
Series: Day Zero Duology #2
Read: December 15th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Loved the first book, and it's a 2020 Dystopia Book, End of Series 2020 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Inkyard Press
Published: December 1st 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!