Saturday, December 12, 2020

Week 50 Review: Every Single Lie

From Goodreads:
In this gripping YA novel about social media bullying and half-truths, one girl's discovery of a dead baby in her high school locker room rocks an entire community.

Nobody in Beckett's life seems to be telling the whole story. Her boyfriend Jake keeps hiding texts and might be cheating on her. Her father lied about losing his job before his shocking death. And everyone in school seems to be whispering about her and her family behind her back.

But none of that compares to the day Beckett finds the body of a newborn baby in a gym bag-Jake's gym bag -on the floor of her high school locker room. As word leaks out, rumors that Beckett's the mother take off like wildfire in a town all too ready to believe the worst of her. And as the police investigation unfolds, she discovers that everyone has a secret to hide and the truth could alter everything she thought she knew. 

My Review:
Oh, man, wow, this book was utterly fantastic! I've really enjoyed Rachel Vincent's books before, and I just wanted to dive right into this one! It was such an amazing read, I had a great time, I was on the figurative edge of my seat, and I just couldn't put this book down until it ended! 

I really enjoyed reading about Beckett and her story. From her boyfriend keeping secrets to the events leading up to her father's death, and of course, finding a dead baby, she has a lot going on in her life. I loved her habit of putting statements through a truth test, it was a fun part of her narration. Really enjoyed how this book had her questioning what she knew about her friends, family, and the community that she lives in, that nobody noticed a probably young pregnant lady. 

A great deal of this book is about online hate. These people aren't connected to the situation, they don't know Beckett or the small town that she lives in. But a baby was found abandoned and dead in a school change room, and the internet decided that Beckett was the mother. Even though there's no proof. 

It's like the internet needs a lesson in a) not jumping to conclusions and patience for the truth and/or evidence to come out, b) kindness to strangers. And a dash of, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Maybe say, this isn't a good situation, but we don't know all the factors, so don't jump down anybody in particular's throat. 

There were a few periods where the focus of suspicion of who the parents where changed. There were a few contenders that popped up. And this is a mystery book, of who the parents are, and what happened with Lullaby Doe was born. That reveal of what really happened? I didn't see it coming but the foundation was there, and I loved it! 

Loved reading this book, it was just phenomenal, and I hope that everybody loves it even half as much as I do when it comes out! 

Author: Rachel Vincent 
Read: December 5th, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: I love her writing, and it's a SAC 2020 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Bloomsbury YA
Expected Publication: January 12th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!