Saturday, October 14, 2023

Week 41 Review: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone

From Goodreads:
Everyone in my family has killed someone. Some of us, the high achievers, have killed more than once. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but it is the truth. Some of us are good, others are bad, and some just unfortunate.

I'm Ernest Cunningham. Call me Ern or Ernie. I wish I'd killed whoever decided our family reunion should be at a ski resort, but it's a little more complicated than that.

Have I killed someone? Yes. I have.

Who was it?

Let's get started.

Everyone in my family has killed someone:
My brother
My stepsister
My wife
My father
My mother
My sister-in-law
My uncle
My stepfather
My aunt
Me

My Review:
Oh, I really enjoyed reading this book! It was so clever, what with an narrator who wrote who to write mystery books. Given that all of his family members have killed someone for some reason or another (and we find out throughout the book) as they were currently isolated on a mountain in the snow.

The forward of this novel, where Ernest is talking to us, that lists out the chapters were there were deaths, the rules that Ernest would abide by narrating this story to us, yeah, loved that. It broke the 4th wall, and was so fun to read! 

There was a section for each family member, that explained who that person killed in that section. As Ernest knew at the time. As the story goes on and we get to know this family, and why all of them have killed someone as they were dealing with a mounting number of dead bodies...fantastic!

How Ernest put together the clues and solved the mystery, yeah, that was thrilling! I guessed one bit, but not the others, and how they came together. So that was really clever, especially since he had to give us the clues that he needed to put it all together. 

This was such a great read and I can't wait for the sequel! 

Author: Benjamin Stevenson
Series: Ernest Cummingham #1
Read: October 14th, 2023
Source: Bought Audible
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2023 Book!
Publisher: Harper Audio
Published: March 29th 2022
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!