Saturday, October 28, 2023

Week 43 Review: Assistant to the Villain

From Goodreads:
Once Upon a Time meets The Office in Hannah Maehrer's laugh-out-loud viral TikTok series turned novel, about the sunshine assistant to an Evil Villain…and their unexpected romance.

ASSISTANT WANTED: Notorious, high-ranking villain seeks loyal, levelheaded assistant for unspecified office duties, supporting staff for random mayhem, terror, and other Dark Things In General. Discretion a must. Excellent benefits.

With ailing family to support, Evie Sage's employment status isn't just important, it's vital. So when a mishap with Rennedawn's most infamous Villain results in a job offer—naturally, she says yes. No job is perfect, of course, but even less so when you develop a teeny crush on your terrifying, temperamental, and undeniably hot boss. Don't find evil so attractive, Evie.

But just when she's getting used to severed heads suspended from the ceiling and the odd squish of an errant eyeball beneath her heel, Evie suspects this dungeon has a huge rat…and not just the literal kind. Because something rotten is growing in the kingdom of Rennedawn, and someone wants to take the Villain—and his entire nefarious empire—out.

Now Evie must not only resist drooling over her boss but also figure out exactly who is sabotaging his work…and ensure he makes them pay.

After all, a good job is hard to find.

My Review:
This was such a fun read! I saw it getting a lot of hype, and it's from the same imprint as Fourth Wing, so yeah, I was game to check it out. And I had such a great time reading it, the narration of these two, the Villain and his assistant, I just loved their voices! Plus there was Kingsley and his signs!

The main plot of this book is who is betraying them to the king, why things are going wrong, and there's a few additional attempts on their lives, from information that only a select few should have. So you'd think it'd be easy. But it wasn't. The reveal of who it was though? I wasn't expecting that! 

Evie needs a job, she's the one that has to support her family since her mom is gone and her dad is sick. She left the last one because her boss got handsy, and left her scarred. A chance encounter with the villain, however, changes things. I loved watching the two of them together, who from the outside had feelings for one another, but they just couldn't figure it out! 

That ending though! I really need to know where things will go from here! It was just evil where things were left, but I'm excited to see what Evie's going to do! I am worried about the villain, given where were last saw him! 

Loved reading this book, and I can't wait for the sequel! 

Author: Hannah Nicole Maehrer
Series: Assistant to the Villain #1
Read: October 21st, 2023
Source: Bought 
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2023 Book! 
Publisher: Red Tower Books 
Published: September 5th 20 23 
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!