Saturday, October 14, 2023

Week 41 Review: The Veil

From Goodreads:
Sally has recently left an unfulfilling job to volunteer at a living history museum, where she is assigned to the Death House. Every day, she dons Victorian mourning garb and describes traditional funeral services to tourists. It sounds depressing as hell, but for Sally, it's less depressing than her tepid marriage to her childhood sweetheart.

This becomes all too clear when she accidentally travels through time and space to a liminal world where the ghosts of the living history museum haunt its grounds. There, she meets and falls hard for Victorian-era pretty boy Nathaniel. Their heady, romantic encounters douse Sally in the sad reality that her marriage is anything but and leave her tempted to join Nathaniel permanently in his realm.

Is Sally's marriage literally a fate worse than death, or is there another way altogether?

My Review:
This was such an enjoyable read! It was really short, which is going to make it harder to review, but I'll do my best! I loved watching Sally, deal with an unsatisfying marriage, and then she meets Nathaniel-but he's dead, and wants her to join him!

While she's married to the guy who was her childhood sweetheart, it's been a pretty depressing time if volunteering at a place called the death house is better. So this whole thing with ghosts, yeah, it's just what she needed to get her life out of the funk. 

The whole romance with Nathaniel was sweet and cute and a bit creepy because he's dead, but it's also pretty chaste, given he's from a different time, and since she's alive, she keeps leaving. It was great to see her have some happiness! 

The chose that Sally made in the end, I loved it! Her life hasn't been easy but I loved that she chose what she wanted, that wasn't about what a guy wanted, but her. I'm pretty certain that she's going to be much happier going forward! 

I loved reading this book, it was so great! 

Author: Rachel Harrison
Read: October 10th, 2023 
Source: Audible 
Reason Why: Sounded really and it's a SAC 2023 Book!
Publisher: Audible Originals
Published: July 8th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!