Saturday, December 9, 2023

Week 49 Review: Cocktails & Chloroform

From Goodreads:
For modern-day detective Mallory Atkinson, being trapped in the body of a Victorian housemaid means overcoming endless obstacles. Her current challenge is winning over the suspicious young parlormaid, Alice. Mallory's plan starts with teaching the girl to make Molotov cocktails, which is a perfectly valid science experiment and not at all a desperate ploy to gain Alice's attention. Before the lesson can begin, though, Alice receives a letter that has her slipping off in the night. Concerned for her safety—and naturally curious—Mallory follows.

Mallory finds Alice at what seems like a simple dance hall, watching young men and women flirting and whirling in pretty dresses and dapper suit-coats. But nothing here is what is seems, and what starts as a simple surveillance exercise turns into a full-scale spy mission with Mallory's boss, Dr. Duncan Gray, at her side. Before the evening is done, those Molotov cocktails are probably going to come in handy.

Note this is not a full-length novel. It's a novella set after The Poisoner's Ring.

My Review:
I loved reading this story so much! I just adore the series, and Kelley Armstrong is one of my top favourite authors of all time. So I had to read it, and these latest adventure was such a great adventure to go on!

For the first two books, we spent a lot of time with the middle and upper classes. This is the story were we spent the most time with the poor, and with Alice, and I really enjoyed reading these story! Honestly, I felt so badly for Alice, that her family was like it was, but I'm glad that she's now in the group with the Grays. 

The words in the title, yeah, I was so excited to see what part they were going to play, especially the cocktails-since they're Molotov cocktails, not the drink. And boy, were they were so much fun to read about, though not really the chloroform, since it was used by the bad guys.

It was really great to have this mini mystery to watch Mallory and Gray to deal with. The stakes were lower, and it was a personal case, and I loved watching they deal with everything. Because the group that was doing this, and what they were doing, they definitely needed to be stopped! 

Loved reading this book and I can't wait for the next book in the series! 

Author: Kelley Armstrong 
Series: A Rip Through Time #2.5
Read: December 5th, 2023
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Love her writing and this series, and it's a Historical Fiction 2023 Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2023 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: K.L.A. Fricke Inc
Published: December 5th 2023
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!