Saturday, July 4, 2020

Week 27 Review: Tiny Pretty Things

From Goodreads:
Black Swan meets Pretty Little Liars in this soapy, drama-packed novel featuring diverse characters who will do anything to be the prima at their elite ballet school.

Gigi, Bette, and June, three top students at an exclusive Manhattan ballet school, have seen their fair share of drama. Free-spirited new girl Gigi just wants to dance—but the very act might kill her. Privileged New Yorker Bette's desire to escape the shadow of her ballet star sister brings out a dangerous edge in her. And perfectionist June needs to land a lead role this year or her controlling mother will put an end to her dancing dreams forever. When every dancer is both friend and foe, the girls will sacrifice, manipulate, and backstab to be the best of the best.

My Review:
Yeah, I know, I gave this book a bit of a harsh rating for me. But when I first saw this book, well, I din't know how much I'm not really into contemporaries as I do now. And I had to read this book, because it's an ARC, and I couldn't leave it unread like that!

Honestly, a good part of the reason why I didn't enjoy this book was because of how slow it was. There was really only social drama in this book, of these characters and the competition between them as ballerinas. And I'm just not interested in that, it's not enough going on for me.

We had 3 main perspectives in this book, Gigi the newcomer who got the Sugar Plum Fairy, June who was the understudy, and Bette who wanted the role but got another. They all want to be the star, but Gigi was the one who got it, and that put a target on her back.

There were a lot of moments where I really didn't like most of these characters, sure, ambition is fine, but there's your own skill pitted against another, and then there's sabotaging and bulling another. And it all culminated, well, I wasn't expecting that, and I can't wait to see where it goes from here!

I did enjoy this book, but it's not one that I'd read again or buy. But I am going to read the sequel, because I need to know how it ends!

Authors: Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton
Series: Tiny Pretty Things #1
Read: July 2nd, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded fantastic, and it's 's a DAC Book, Sequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and WoW Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: May 26th 2015
4/5 Hearts
0/5 Books
0/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!