Saturday, December 5, 2020

Week 49 Review: Furbidden Fatality

From Goodreads:
A lottery winner uses her good fortune to save a local pet sanctuary, but when a body is discovered on the property, she just might be in the doghouse in this first book in a new, charming cozy mystery series from author Deborah Blake.

Kari Stuart's life is going nowhere--until she unexpectedly wins the lottery. The twenty-nine-year-old instant multimillionaire is still mulling plans for her winnings when trying to rescue a bossy black kitten leads her to a semiabandoned animal shelter. They need the cash--Kari needs a purpose.

But the dilapidated rescue is literally going to the dogs with a pending lawsuit, hard to adopt animals, and too much suspicious attention from the town's dog warden. When the warden turns up dead outside the shelter's dog kennels, Kari finds herself up a creek without a pooper-scooper.

With the help of some dedicated volunteers, a cute vet, and a kitten who mysteriously shows up just when she needs it, Kari must prove her innocence all while trying to save a dog on death row. Now she just needs to hope that her string of unexpected luck isn't about to run out.

My Review:
This book was just so fun to read! I've really enjoyed Deborah Blake's paranormal romances, but it was so great to read her first published mystery! It was just so cozy and cute and adorable! And I just loved the concept of a lottery winner using her funds to buy a animal shelter. Such a great idea! 

I really enjoyed reading about Kari, she's not impulsive, but she bought a animal shelter without much thought. She's an animal lover, and I just loved how kind hearted she is. Life has given her a few hard knocks, but it's showing some love now. Well, love with another hard knock, because of a lawsuit that ends up with her being a murder suspect.

I loved her close friends and employees, they were a pretty tight knit group, though there was a few spats from one character, who I honestly was wondering if she was the bad guy. I loved watching them investigate the crime!

There were a few things going on, from the main investigation into the murder, dealing with the aftermath, as well as threats. There was also dealing with the new warden. And maybe a future potential love interest! I'm so excited to see where this series goes from here!

This was such a great read, loved how it wrapped up, and I can't wait for more in this series! 

Author: Deborah Blake 
Series: A Catskills Pet Rescue Mystery #1
Read: November 30th, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really good, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book and a WoW Book! 
Publisher: Berkley Books
Expected Publication: February 23rd 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!