Saturday, January 2, 2021

Week 53 Review: The Hazel Wood

Welcome to the Hazel Wood.

Seventeen-year-old Alice and her mother have spent most of Alice's life on the road, always a step ahead of the uncanny bad luck biting at their heels. But when Alice's grandmother, the reclusive author of a cult-classic book of pitch-dark fairy tales, dies alone on her estate, the Hazel Wood, Alice learns how bad her luck can really get: Her mother is stolen away―by a figure who claims to come from the Hinterland, the cruel supernatural world where her grandmother's stories are set. Alice's only lead is the message her mother left behind: "Stay away from the Hazel Wood."

Alice has long steered clear of her grandmother's cultish fans. But now she has no choice but to ally with classmate Ellery Finch, a Hinterland superfan who may have his own reasons for wanting to help her. To retrieve her mother, Alice must venture first to the Hazel Wood, then into the world where her grandmother's tales began―and where she might find out how her own story went so wrong.

My Review:
This book was pretty great! This world was so strange and interesting, and I just wanted to know what the heck was going on! And when we found out, things just got a little bit more crazy, but they made sense, and I really enjoyed it!

The first part of this book, was a mystery of what happened to her mother. And I really enjoyed it, and her interactions with Finch, who has a pretty big obsession with her grandmother's book, so it was a little dubious as to whether we could trust him or not.

And then we got to the part where she was getting into Hinterland, and things just got super weird. Then it died down a bit, before picking right back up-and I absolutely loved that reveal! The whole thing about the world made so much sense!

Really enjoyed that ending, it wasn't the happiest of endings, but this book was pretty grim at points, and there is a sequel. I enjoyed how things worked out, and I'm really excited to see where the sequel is going to go! 

This as a really fantastic read, and I can't wait to continue the series! 

Author: Melissa Albert 
Series: The Hazel Wood #1
Read: December 28th, 2020
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book! 
Publisher: Flatiron Books
Published: January 30th 2018
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!