Saturday, January 2, 2021

Week 53 Review: Parasite

From Goodreads:
A decade in the future, humanity thrives in the absence of sickness and disease.

We owe our good health to a humble parasite -- a genetically engineered tapeworm developed by the pioneering SymboGen Corporation. When implanted, the Intestinal Bodyguard worm protects us from illness, boosts our immune system -- even secretes designer drugs. It's been successful beyond the scientists' wildest dreams. Now, years on, almost every human being has a SymboGen tapeworm living within them.

But these parasites are getting restless. They want their own lives . . . and will do anything to get them.

My Review:
This book was utterly fantastic! I love Mira Grant/Seanan McGuire's writing, and this is the 2nd full length book that I've read under her sci fi publishing name. I just love how she has science that is plausible, and so, so very scary and thrilling! I just love that combo! 

The idea of humans putting a genetically modified parasite into our bodies to protect our immune systems, it's just so creepy to me! I mean, tapeworms are parasites, and even if they've been modified ot help us, the idea just icks me so much! 

I felt so badly for Sal, that she's had to go through these past 6 years, basically like a child in an adult's body, and there's been so many secrets kept from her! And the world is going to end, basically, if they don't fix what those secrets were hiding! 

The way this story is told, we're basically told what happened at just under the halfway mark, but Sal blocks it, isn't ready to remember it. So that was really interesting to read! This book had me on the edge of my seat, from dealing with her family and SymboGen, and of course all the secrets that were being kept! It all came together so well! I need to know what's going to happen next! 

I absolutely loved reading this book, and now I absolutely need to continue and then finish this series! 

Author: Mira Grant 
Series: Parasitology #1
Read: January 1st, 2021
Source: Ebook.bike 
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really great, and it's a 2021 Dystopian Book, Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book and a WTC Book! 
Publisher: Orbit 
Published: October 29th 2013
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!