Saturday, November 23, 2013

Week 47 Review: City of a Thousand Dolls

From Goodreads:
An exotic treat set in an entirely original, fantastical world brimming with deadly mystery, forbidden romance, and heart-stopping adventure.

Nisha was abandoned at the gates of the City of a Thousand Dolls when she was just a child. Now sixteen, she lives on the grounds of the isolated estate, where orphan girls apprentice as musicians, healers, courtesans, and, if the rumors are true, assassins. Nisha makes her way as Matron’s assistant, her closest companions the mysterious cats that trail her shadow. Only when she begins a forbidden flirtation with the city’s handsome young courier does she let herself imagine a life outside the walls. Until one by one, girls around her start to die.

Before she becomes the next victim, Nisha decides to uncover the secrets that surround the girls’ deaths. But by getting involved, Nisha jeopardizes not only her own future in the City of a Thousand Dolls—but her own life.

My Review:
I honestly wasn't expecting much from this book. I was doing the obvious-judging the book by it's cover. I hadn't read the synopsis, and if I had, I might've had a glimpse of just how spectacular this book is, how engaging, encompassing, and page turning! And I almost had a full alliteration there!

The beginning was a bit confusing, with learning about the world, the rules, and the different groups in this city, but it was important to remember and associate them with their various things, because it's part of the mystery, the dead bodies, and all the intrigue swirling around for the upcoming event!

I loved everything that Nisha learned, from things about the deaths, and how they were connected which lead to the bad guy-her friend, which sucks for Nisha-to the assassins that are trained there, her parents, and why she was left there at the gates! So much was going on!

Nisha was very clever, and I enjoyed how she used that to help others, to get the one girl out of the clutches of the mean lady, and then to help herself, telling the prince about her friend and changing the rules around how the City is operated and how the girls leave. It makes things so much better!

We're left with one mystery-what her parents saw that made them do what they did! I hope we get that in the next book, because I want to know more, and spend more time with all these people!

Author: Miriam Forster
Series: Bhinian Empire #1
Read: November 19th, 2013
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a Historical Fiction 2013 Book and a DAC Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: February 5th 2013
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!