Saturday, November 23, 2013

Week 47 Review: Phoenix

From Goodreads:
Ash and Natalie are just starting to build a life together when things in the United Sentry States go from bad to worse. Ash and Natalie find themselves at the center of turmoil when dictator Purian Rose threatens Natalie's life unless Ash votes in favor of Rose's Law—a law that will send Darklings and other dissenters to a deadly concentration camp known as the Tenth.

When Ash can't bring himself to trade Natalie’s life for those of millions of Darklings, her fate is sealed. Enter Elijah Theroux, the handsome Bastet boy Natalie once saved from her mother’s labs, where he’d been experimented on and tortured. It was his venom the Sentry used to create the lethal Golden Haze, the heart of the government conspiracy that led to Black City's uprising and Ash's rebirth as the Phoenix, the face of the rebellion. Elijah is back and Ash doesn't like him; it's clear he's taken with Natalie, and Ash fears she may have feelings for him as well.

But Elijah also may have the answer to taking down Purian Rose for good—a powerful weapon called the Ora. Ash, Natalie and Elijah just have to escape Black City undetected to find it. But fleeing the city and finding this weapon (if it even exists) are easier said than done, and the quest could tear Ash and Natalie apart, even pushing them into the arms of others.

My Review:
It's been a while since I read the first book. So while most of the big stuff was in my head, most of the little things were gone. And this book did a pretty great job of bringing up those details without slowing down what was going on in this book!

Romantic conflict! I think this almost has to be a staple in YA books that are the middle of the trilogy, because it is a real conflict, teenagers hearts get pulled in many directions, it seems! (Not my own, mine is pretty heavily guarded!) And this book did a great job of building up that conflict!

Keeping secrets in a relationship, to protect the other from pain, it's the best idea, because most of the time, those secrets will come out, and then the hurt will be multiplied because it was kept secret, so those were some poor decisions, guys!

That ending! Such a cliff, I can't see the bottom, it's that deep! So much was going on, I just didn't want it to end, but that's what the last book is for, and also what reread is for! I am just so excited for Wings, it's going to be awesome!

I enjoyed this book so much, it was so good and entertaining, and I can't wait for Wings!

Author: Elizabeth Richards
Series: Black City #2
Read: November 20th, 2013
Source: Tuebl
Reason Why: Loved the first book, and it's a Sequel Challenge 2013 Book and a Sophomore Challenge Book!
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Published: June 4th 2013
5/5 Hearts
4/5 Books
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!