Saturday, December 5, 2020

Week 49 Review: Ghost Wood Song

From Goodreads:
Sawkill Girls meets Beautiful Creatures in this lush and eerie debut, where the boundary between reality and nightmares is as thin as the veil between the living and the dead. 

If I could have a fiddle made of Daddy’s bones, I'd play it. I'd learn all the secrets he kept.

Shady Grove inherited her father's ability to call ghosts from the grave with his fiddle, but she also knows the fiddle's tunes bring nothing but trouble and darkness.

But when her brother is accused of murder, she can't let the dead keep their secrets.

In order to clear his name, she's going to have to make those ghosts sing.

Family secrets, a gorgeously resonant LGBTQ love triangle, and just the right amount of creepiness make this young adult debut a haunting and hopeful story about facing everything that haunts us in the dark.

My Review:
This book was so fantastic! The tone was just so dark and troublesome, and I loved watching Shady deal with all this horrible crap in her life, from her dead dad and her brother, as well as this family ability to call ghosts. It was all just so interesting! 

I was a little confused when I first started reading this book because I hadn't read the synopsis, and I couldn't tell if Shady was a boy or a girl. I was leaning towards boy, until I went and read the synopsis. Opps! But the fact that Shady was a girl had this book being in the LGBTQIA+ zone, which was really great!

I wanted to know everything about the magic. The synopsis talks about ghosts and music, but I knew that there were a lot of wasps because of the cover. I wanted to know how things worked, how they would tie together, and it was just so fascinating to read! The shadow man and he was connected to the family secrets and pain and guilt and hate was a compelling read, and it was great to see how they were put to rest!

Shady is understandably protective of her family. And when her brother is accused of murdering their stepfather, well, I enjoyed the journey that she undertook to prove his innocence. The murder mystery element of this book was fantastic, and I enjoyed how it resolved! 

This was a really great read, and I can't wait to see where this series will go! Though it looks like her sophomore novel isn't that sequel... 

Author: Erica Waters
Series: Ghost Wood Song #1
Read: September 29th, 2020
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Sounded really great, and it's a DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2020 Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Published: July 14th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!