Saturday, December 5, 2020

Week 49 Review: The Summer Set

From Goodreads:
The real drama happens backstage in this juicy novel about an idyllic summer theater where hot stars, has-beens and hopefuls chase roles—and each other.

Charlie Savoy was once Hollywood's hottest A-lister. Now, ten years later, she's pushing forty, exiled from the film world and back at the summer Shakespeare theater that launched her career—and where her old flame, Nick, is the artistic director.

It's not exactly her first choice. But as parts are cast and rehearsals begin, Charlie is surprised to find herself getting her groove back, bonding with celebrity actors, forging unexpected new friendships and even reigniting her spark with Nick, who still seems to bring out the best in her despite their complicated history.

Until Charlie's old rival, Hollywood's current it girl, is brought in to attract theater donors, threatening to undo everything she's built. As the drama amps up both on the stage and behind the curtains, Charlie must put on the show of a lifetime to fight for the second chance she deserves in career and in love.

My Review:
I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved seeing Charlie deal with having to dip her toe back into the acting world. And over the course of this summer, a lot happens for these characters, dealing with the problems that arise, and it was just so great to read! I have read one of her YA books, and I've always meant to read the sequel, but I'm really glad to have read this book!

From the synopsis, it makes it sound like it's just Charlie's story, that we're focused on her. But she's just one of 4 characters that we follow of the course of this summer-as well as her old flame, Nick, and two of the students that are participating in the program, Sierra and Ethan.

A bit of this book went over my head. Art like actors make, well, I just can't understand it, and being in at least 2, sometimes 3 actors heads-the students were uncertain of how much of a career that they could turn this into-it was just a part that I couldn't connect with. I just don't have similar experiences to root it in my mind, you know? To ground it in my own understanding. 

Man, that ending! It was just so clever, and I really enjoyed how it played out! And that it ended with her wiki page, but updated with everything that happened in this book, and where they're going in the future, well, that was just fantastic!

This was a really great read, and I really enjoyed it! 

Author: Aimee Agresti
Read: November 28th, 2020
Source: NetGalley
Reason Why: Really enjoy her writing, and it's a SAC 2020 Book!
Publisher: Graydon House
Published: May 12th 2020
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!