Saturday, April 10, 2021

Week 14 Review: The Merciful Crow

From Goodreads:
Debut author Margaret Owen crafts a powerful saga of vengeance, survival, and sacrifice--perfect for fans of Leigh Bardugo and Kendare Blake--in The Merciful Crow.

One way or another, we always feed the crows.

A future chieftain

Fie abides by one rule: look after your own. Her Crow caste of undertakers and mercy-killers takes more abuse than coin, but when they're called to collect royal dead, she's hoping they'll find the payout of a lifetime.

A fugitive prince

When Crown Prince Jasimir turns out to have faked his death, Fie's ready to cut her losses—and perhaps his throat. But he offers a wager that she can't refuse: protect him from a ruthless queen, and he'll protect the Crows when he reigns.

A too-cunning bodyguard

Hawk warrior Tavin has always put Jas's life before his, magically assuming the prince's appearance and shadowing his every step. But what happens when Tavin begins to want something to call his own?

My Review:
Well, I freaking loved this book! I loved the world, it was horrible to the crows, the lowest caste, but it was so interesting with the magic and the curse! I loved these characters, I cared about what was happening to them, and I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next!

The way that Crows are treated is awful, they provide a needed service, taking care of the dead, but they're treated abysmally for it. I really enjoyed learning more about how everything worked, and their gods, and it was all so fascinating! 

The whole thing with the prince-and his bodyguard, oh, that was thrilling to read! That they're hunted, but made a deal with Fie's dad, it links them together. I wanted them to really see what it was like for a crow, so that they'd implement the change that Jas was promising, given the threat that the crows were under because they were helping the pair.

Watching all these events play out was just epic. There was a lot of high stakes moments, and they're fleeing for their lives for the majority, but they're also building connections, and I can't wait to see how things are going to play out in the sequel! 

Absolutely loved reading this book, and I need to read the sequel ASAP! 

Author: Margaret Owen
Series: The Merciful Crow #1
Read: April 8th, 2021
Source: Bought
Reason Why: Sounded good, and it's a DAC Book and a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book!
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Published: July 30th 2019
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!