Saturday, April 3, 2021

Week 13 Review: The Bane Chronicles

From Goodreads:
Fans of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices can get to know warlock Magnus Bane like never before in this paperback collection of New York Times bestselling tales, each with comic-style art.

This collection of eleven short stories illuminates the life of the enigmatic Magnus Bane, whose alluring personality, flamboyant style, and sharp wit populate the pages of the #1 New York Times bestselling series, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices.

Originally released one-by-one as e-only short stories by Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson, and Sarah Rees Brennan, this compilation presents all ten together in print and includes a special eleventh tale, as well as eleven comic illustrations. 

My first review of The Bane Chronicles
My Review:
I loved reading this book again! I loved reading it the first time, but I had to read it again with my reread of the series I've been doing. It was so fantastic to see various points of Magnus's life, but almost all of them, at least the first half, had pretty painful endings. Because he's an immortal, and he's going to lose people and it sucks! 

One thing that's particularly sad for me, is that the Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale, about Will's parents. His mom is a land owner, and she was looking for a husband to take home to her property. But we know from TID that Will's dad gambled away all their money, and they had to move. So that's really sad to me!

When I was reading The Midnight Heir, I was a little bit confused, because Magnus is also in Chain of Gold, and the impressions I got from that don't quite match up with what happened in this story. Because he knows that something is up with Grace, given what she did and what Tatiana wanted from him. I wasn't planning on rereading Chain of Gold this time, but I may just have to reread the parts that Magnus is in...

I forgot how much Raphael and Ragnor Fell clicked. I knew from recently reading The Red Scrolls of Magic that Raphael mourned Ragnor, but I forgot how it started. And unless I really forgot something, then Raphael will never know that Ragnor is still alive (Which is in The Red Scrolls of Magic as well as Queen of Air and Darkness). It's just a little sad! 

Magnus has lived an adventurous life! We may not know why he was banned from Peru, and things didn't end with the the French Queen, as well been there through some pretty pivotal moments in Herondale lives and history. He was in love many times, and this is just the start of him and Alec, and I'm so glad that he's going to have that happiness in the future! 

I love this collection of stories, and I can't wait to continue with my reading the world! 

Authors: Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, and Maureen Johnson
Series: The Bane Chronicles #1-11, Shadowhunter Chronicles
First Read: February 26th, 2018
Read: April 2nd, 2021
Source: Own
Reason Why: Rereading, and it's a Prequel & Sequel Challenge 2021 Book!
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Published: November 11th, 2014
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!