Saturday, July 30, 2011

Week 30 Review: Always a Scoundrel

From Goodreads:
Never a gentleman . . . until now.

Lord Bramwell Johns, the second son of a duke, is an unrepentant scoundrel. Now that his two closest friends are disgustingly ensconced in domestic bliss, Bram is feeling strangely restless. And not even relieving London's least deserving artistocrats of their ill-gotten jewels is enough—until the night he overhears an argument. It seems that Lady Rosamund Davies is about to be forced into marriage with a rogue even worse than himself.

Rose is well aware of Bram's scandalous reputation, so any reason for his sudden interest in her is suspect; more so since he's close friends with the man about to ruin her family! She has her own plan though, and Bram may be just what she requires—as long as she remembers that he is only looking out for himself. As long as she remembers that his kisses and caresses don't mean anything. As long as she can keep from wondering whether she can trust a scoundrel . . . with her heart.


My Review:
I loved this book! It had amazing wit, and I loved the characters and the diologue and the plot, and it was just awesome! I loved the relationships, and how they characters worked out the problems, and the plot, it was just so freaking good! And it just was emotional, how one woman tries to avoid a horrible fate that would protect her family, she'd be the only one to pay the cost, she was loyal, even if it was unfair.

I just really loved this book! I finished it in about 3 hours or so, staying up to 4 am to read it. And I had a test that day, a final, so I did get some sleep, but not as much as I should've, and it was because of how much I wanted to read this book!

A few parts were a bit awkward for me to read, because I knew that they had the potential to be embarrassing, but I liked them, too, because thye added something more to the book, something that I liked.

My favourite part was a scene right near where some of the actions of the character comes back to haunt him, but his friends help him out. It's quite funny. I'll have it down below if you want to read it, after this review is done.

This was a great book, and I'll have to look for the first 2 in the series, since this one was just awesome! You guys should definitely read this book!

Ok, for the little scene, if you want to read it now instead of in your own copy of the book, page 350-352.


The largest of the six men stepped forward, a pair of wrist irons in his hands. "Lord Bramwell Lowry Johns," he enunciated, in the too-loud voice of someone who wasn't certain of his welcome and wanted everyone to know he had a legitimate reason to be where he was, "you are under arrest. Please come peaceably and we can be out of here without too much fuss."

Frowning with the effort of keeping himself still when all he wanted to do was begin throwing punches, Bram nodded. At the Runner's gesture he held out his hands. "Go back to your parents, Rosamund," he murmured as the shackles clicked shut. She seemed inclined to stand in the middle of the floor, far too close to him, whatever anyone said.

"What are the charges?" someone from the crowd called. Someone who sounded suspiciously like Phineas Bromley. Damn it all, he'd told them to stay away.

"Lord Bramwell Lowry Johns is accused of being the Black Cat burglar. Now everyone please move aside and let us do our job."

"That's impossible," Sullivan Waring's voice came from another part of the room, unlikely as it was that he would ever attend a Society event. "I'm the Black Cat burglar." And then Lord Dunston's illegitimate son stepped forward.

Bram grimaced. For God's sake, Sully had a pregnant wife. "Leave off, Sullivan," he ordered.

"Excuse me, but you're not the Black Cat. I am." Phin moved to the front of the crowd.

"I don't know what you lads are talking about." August emerged onto the cleared dance floor. "I am certainly the Black Cat."

Good God.

"Say whatever you like," Cosgrove broke in with his silky voice, "but I have proof. A signed declaration from Father John of St. Michael's Church stating that Bramwell Johns regularly delivered stolen goods there for distribution to the poor."

A deep, cynical laugh sounded from Bran's left. "Bran Johns couldn't sep through the doors of a church without being struck by lightning." The Duke of Levonzy came forward, "I'm as likely to be the Black Cat as he is."

Murmured agreement and a scattering of laughter sounded around the room, Bram, though, couldn't take his eyes off the duke. The man hadn't precisely lied for him, but he had definitely dissembled. Levonzy. For him.

"I'm the Black Cat!" James Davies appeared, taking Rosamund's hand, but not attempting to lead her away.

Abernanthy walked onto the dance floor, as well. "We're both the Black Cat. We work together."

A heartbeat later, amid a chorus of male voices proclaiming themselves the Black Cat, he heard another round of declarations from the direction of the refreshment table, led by Lord Darshear and his older son, Phillip-Sullivan's in-laws.

Viscount Bromley rolled forward in his welled chair. "You seem to have a problem, sir," he stated to the lead Runner, "because I am the Black Cat."

"But m'lord, you're crippled."

"Nevertheless, I am the Black Cat. And given these confessions, I suggest you either arrest half the House of Lords or release Lord Bramwell." He turned his attention to Cosgrove. "And you, my lord, had best find a better way to vent your jealousies."

Clearly realizing he was outnumbered and outranked, the Runny unlocked the shackles and stepped back. "I beg your pardon, my lord. We didn't realize this was a matter of personal animosity."

Bram rubbed his wrists, more to be certain he was actually free than because the shackles had hurt. "You can't be faulted for doing your duty, sir," he replied. "After all, I supposed I'm as likely as anyone else to be the Black Cat. And perhaps knowing how many men claim his identity will discourage him from continuing his thefts. I would say you've done an admirable job tonight."

Author: Suzanne Enoch
Series: Notorious Gentlemen #3
Read: July 27th 2011
Source: Own
Reason Why: Sounded really fantastic!
Publisher: Avon
Published: April 28th 2009
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
4.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!