Saturday, February 6, 2021

Week 5 Review: Everything, Everything

From Goodreads:
The Instant #1 New York Times Bestseller

If you love Eleanor and Park, Hazel and Augustus, and Mia and Adam, you'll love the story of Maddy, a girl who's literally allergic to the outside world, and Olly, the boy who moves in next door . . . and becomes the greatest risk she's ever taken. This innovative and heartfelt debut novel unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, illustrations, and more.
 
My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I'm allergic to the world. I don't leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.
 
But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He's tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.
 
Maybe we can't predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It's almost certainly going to be a disaster.

My Review:
I was really excited to read this book. Nicola Yoon seems to be a pretty beloved author, and this was her debut novel, and I was excited to see what this story would be like. Plus I want to watch the movie. I don't read much YA contemporary, but I had a really good time reading Maddy's story! 

The idea of being stuck in your home because you're basically allergic to the world, well, if I had a choice, I would stay home. But Maddy doesn't have that choice, which the ability to choose becomes a tipping point between a good and bad situation. 

I mean, the synopsis said that it was going to be a disaster. That was easy to know. But what was harder was if that was where it was going to end, or if there was going to be a workable solution that would leave the characters in a better, happier, place.

The way it ended with that twist, I'm conflicted. I'm glad that there was a happy ending but given that twist, everything that happened, it was like, what was the point? I wish that it'd been done differently, but that it'd arrive at a similar outcome. Bah! 

This was a really great read, and I'm really glad that I did read it! 

Author: Nicola Yoon
Read: January 30th, 2021
Source: NetGalley 
Reason Why: Sounded really good, and there's been a movie that I want to see, and it's a SAC 2021 Book!
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Published: September 1st 2015
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!