Saturday, February 6, 2021

Week 5 Review: Red Wolf

From Goodreads:
This high stakes, pacey reimagining of Little Red Riding Hood is perfect for fans of Stephanie Garber and Megan Spooner.

For as long as sixteen-year-old Adele can remember the village of Oakvale has been surrounding by the dark woods—a forest filled with terrible monsters that light cannot penetrate. Like every person who grows up in Oakvale she has been told to steer clear of the woods unless absolutely necessary.

But unlike her neighbors in Oakvale, Adele has a very good reason for going into the woods. Adele is one of a long line of guardians, women who are able to change into wolves and who are tasked with the job of protecting their village while never letting any of the villagers know of their existence.

But when following her calling means abandoning the person she loves, the future she imagined for herself, and her values she must decide how far she is willing to go to keep her neighbors safe.

My Review:
I loved reading this book! It was dark and pretty grim, with tough decisions and it was just wonderful to read! I really enjoy Rachel Vincent's writing, and since in the beginning acknowledgement page, she mentions Jennifer Lynn Barnes and inspiration to do a passion project, well, yeah, I was really excited to see what this book would be like, and it was so fantastic!

Rachel Vincent has written about werewolves before, but that was in our world. This was a fiction one, and I was really interested in how it was going to work, and it didn't let me down. Plus it was more the harsh decisions that had to be made then the transformation that really added darkness to this book, instead of the fact that our main character turns into a wolf.

I felt so badly for Adele, she wants to tell her love about what she's going through, but the town is small minded, and would kill her family if she did. But she doesn't think that he'll turn on her. And I basically spent the whole book worrying that she was wrong. Add in the reason why her mom doesn't agree to let her get engaged to this dude, well, she had a lot of romantic problems intertwined with the whole guardian thing! 

I'm kinda hoping for a sequel. Because the characters came to a realization about what the threat truly was, and I really want to see them deal with it! And it would be really great to spend more time with these characters in this world, there's a lot of darkness, and destroying the evil forest would be a light, and it would be great for these characters to have that! 

This was a fantastic read, and I really do hope for a sequel! 

Author: Rachel Vincent 
Read: February 1st, 2021
Source: Edelweiss
Reason Why: Love her writing and it sounded really great, and it's a 2021 Retelling Reading Challenge Book, SAC 2021 Book and a WoW Book!
Publisher: Harper Teen
Expected Publication: July 20th 2021
5/5 Hearts
5/5 Books
5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so comment away! I'll comment back if you leave a post-specific link for me to visit! If you leave that link, I'll always comment back, even if it's like, a month late!

This is an award free blog! Thanks for thinking of me but I just don't have the time to pass it along!